Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Standing Desks For Everyone!

In looking back at the earliest parts of my career (1997) I didn't have a desk. I was always on my feet running around, setting up equipment, prepping gear for the next film/video shoot, or striking the set. We, production folks, would share one computer that was either in a green room or some other common area. At the time having a desk wasn't something I thought about because my skills for that time were different and I didn't need a computer much less a desk. I was a camera operator and I enjoyed the work. Back where I worked you learned to do many jobs and wear different hats. So not only was I operating cameras I also did other non-sedentary jobs and it was great. It was like working out at the gym and getting paid to do it!

Then in 1999 my interests changed and I moved into the production management area. I was working as a production manager, associate producer, or production coordinator. All of these jobs were more sedentary and honestly I really liked the change and the work. It was mostly a mixed bag of working at my desk and then getting up throughout the day to follow up with the crew. So maybe it was 80% sitting at my desk and the other 20% was me out on the production floor with the crew. Those numbers fluctuated depending on what's going on at the time. 

Fast forward to December 2012 and I felt it was time for a change.  I had an opportunity at the studio where I work to setup a standing desk. I was part of a group that was moving into some newly acquired space and since my office was being moved I figured it was a good time to make this change and I'm glad I did. I kept the same desk, but I bought cinder blocks to give me the height I needed and I also bought a stool to sit on when I needed a break from the standing.

I'm still getting used to the standing and to be honest my thighs were sore that first week, but the soreness goes away. I'm glad I made this change and I feel more productive throughout the day. I really like it and I probably won't go back to sitting like I was before. 

Here are the things I bought for my standing desk:
4 cinder blocks (Lowes)
1 stool (Bed Bath & Beyond) it's behind my desk you can't see it (not the orange one in front of my desk)
1 gel mat (Bed Bath & Beyond)
Paint for cinder blocks (my producer actually bought some for me!)

This is a photo of my desk in case you are curious. I really dig the pink color on the cinders :)






No comments:

Post a Comment