Monday, June 7, 2010

Happiness for Everyone!

Delivering Happiness A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose is a wonderful and honest look into the people behind Zappos and how it has become an online juggernaut. It's not very often I hear of a CEO that is hands on and shares company information with all of it's employees. As you will read in the book you can see the path and experiences Tony and his partners encounter (both good and challenging).

The fun part for me was reading about the young Tony especially when he was figuring out how to make money. Both the worm and button making ideas gave me a sense of his work ethic and commitment. Even if the job was temporary each one came with a valuable lesson. And I was amazed by the profits he was making while in middle school. I can't even remember what I was doing in middle school…something uneventful like trying to straighten my hair.

Once in high school he was involved in some shenanigans in the computer lab but that ended which led him to find other ways to create a better schedule to make money. He gets a job as a game tester at Lucasfilm that pays him $6.00 an hour. Then he quits Lucasfilm after finding a higher paying job of $15.00 an hour as a computer programmer. I wonder if George Lucas is aware that he had Tony as an employee? I wonder if George orders from Zappos? Oh the silly questions I can come up with.

Also in the book Zappos shares their 10 core values and a sample of courses offered by their Pipeline Team. Lots of interesting things going on and from the employee stories sprinkled throughout the book they enjoy the Zappos culture. It must be really gratifying to work at a company that cares.

At the end of the book it talks about what your goals are in life and what will bring you happiness. When I read the about the 3 types of happiness (pleasure, passion, and higher purpose) it made me think about my life. I have been discontent with my career for a while. And now I can see that I have been missing that "higher purpose" stage. To be involved in a higher purpose means to be a part of something bigger than yourself that has meaning to you :) Now that makes perfect sense!



I highly recommend this book for your Summer reading. Thanks to Tony and Zappos for sharing their Happiness with me and the world. You can find out more about this book at Delivering Happiness Book.com. I hope that my honest opinions about the book will inspire you to get a copy.

Since I received an extra advanced copy of the book I will give it to the first person who asks for it! Go!

Thanks for stopping by :)

No comments:

Post a Comment