Tuesday, June 29, 2010

OWN Casting call in Plano

The Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN) had a casting call here in Plano, Texas and I gathered up the courage to go and pitch my show idea. My show idea was about happiness.

I showed up at 5:45am and when I got there I saw a ton of people already in line. This is a pic I took when I got in line. I heard that people got there super early (3am) to get in line! The casting directors didn't start seeing anyone until 7am.

I was excited about the whole thing and was comforted to know that a friend would be there to pitch her idea so at least I had someone there I could text. She was in a different group but I did see her after the pitch.

The system they had in place was pretty organized and the fact that the weather was decent helped a lot. It was overcast and windy and it looked like it would rain but didn't thank goodness. Once I got in line I waited a while then got to a crew member who talked to us. He told us that we will be getting a wristband that has a number. So after that you got to get into a second line. I think there were 4 or 5 lines you could pick from. I got in line A.

 Here is another pic and all those people under the tent got there super early. When I took this picture I was way way back in line.


Once you made it to the tent it meant you are that much closer to the casting directors. They saw us in groups of about 10 to 12 people at a time. Once your group was called they had us sit around a table and each tent had a casting director and a production assistant. Our guy was polite and I could tell that he was working hard to make us feel relaxed. He gave us a rundown of how the audition works and we each got about a minute to pitch our ideas. If anyone started to ramble he would cut us off (in a nice way). I was the last person to pitch, but that didn't bother me. I was happy to hear everyone's ideas. There were mostly women in my group except for a couple of guys.

As each person stood up to pitch we handed our long ass application to the casting director. While we pitched he was looking through the application to make sure we filled everything out and signed it. When I pitched I felt a little nervous but as I got into it I became comfortable because I felt my idea was unique (I'm sure everyone else felt the same way).

Once we were all done he explained to us what the next steps were. If your pitch was successful you would get a call to comeback for an on camera pitch. If you didn't get a call don't feel bad. I didn't get a call and I didn't feel bad. I'm just glad that I showed up for this opportunity!

This is the tent I was in and I had a blast! Thanks to Oprah's team for coming out to Plano, Texas. Oh and thanks to KOHL'S for having this whole thing in their parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment